Sunday, March 1, 2020

What I Read in February

And what I read in January since I didn't make a post for then. I'm still finding my voice for this blog so for now I'm trying out the types of posts I see on blogs I like. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

My rating system:
5 - Loved it and recommend it!
4 - Liked it and recommend it!
3 - It's not my cup of tea but that's not saying I didn't not enjoy it or not to read it.
2 - Pass!
1 - I'm surprised I didn't put the book down. Actually I probably would put the book down so you probably won't see this rating on my blog.

The 5's
Mrs. Everything by  Jennifer Weiner
In my opinion, it did a great job embracing the complexity of women and their relationships and how society treats them.

Sadie by Courtney Summers
Nice crime drama. The ending was amazing, I don't want to say anything more. Would definitely recommend it.

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
I was inspired to read this because it's being turned into a TV show. I loved it. I love the ending. I'm now reading her book Everything I Never Told You.

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
Haven't read The Handmaid's Tale but I watch the show which is why I wanted to read this book. It was great.


The 4's
City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert 
It was written as if an older woman was accounting her past in letters. I

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides 
This was a solid psychological thriller. I also really liked that how the actual psychology was portrayed in it. Definitely kept me on edge the entire time.

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
I read this because it's coming out as a movie soon and that's the kind of person I am. The beginning started off sounding like a rambling crazy woman which I guess it is but it took me a bit to get into. But when I did get into it, I was into it. Had some great twists.

The 3's
Eleanor reminds me of what's his face in Catcher in the Rye and by that I mean annoying. But overall, it was a good book but I think a little overrated.

I read this for our Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (GWiSE) Book Club. I went in with expectations of female empowerment and was let down there. But it was an interesting history of the internet/e-commerce as we know it and the women behind it so I can't say I didn't enjoy it. Just didn't meet my expectations which I guess maybe I shouldn't have had? *shrugs

Eh, neutral on this. I would recommend it if you like Big Little Lies but I’m not a fan. Lots of dramatic characters.

The 2's
Start Without Me by Joshua Max Feldman
Eh, I mean I finished it. I didn't hate it. But I wouldn't recommend it to others. Also I didn’t like how he wrote the female character.

The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells 
I read this because I want to see the movie that has a modern take on it with Kate Moss. Also I thought a book on a mad scientist would be my cup of tea, but it was not. I just could not get into it.

Have you read any of these books? What were your thoughts? Do you have any book recommendations for me? Comment below.

Also if you're curious how I got through 12 books in two months while in grad school it's because I listen to a vast majority of them as audiobooks on my 40 minute commute, while I wash dishes, at the gym, etc. I use Libby which is an amazing free app that checks audiobooks out using your local library card so it's free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look what I found

And old blog of mine. Is writing about this meta? I guess it doesn't matter. Be prepared for this to just be a bunch of discombobula...