Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Summer in the Lab: A PSA To Not Be Overzealous

This post is to remind you IT IS OKAY TO ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!

Sunset at the beach? How frivolous!

Last week, I was feeling really guilty and "behind" in my lab work. Why? Because the week before I took Thursday off for the Fourth of July to go to a pool party/BBQ/watch fireworks with my significant other. Actually, I didn't even take the day off - I stopped into lab for a few hours in the morning. But then I also didn't come in that weekend because I went to two other BBQs/pool parties. And then I took this last weekend off and went to the beach BOTH days. Also I plan to go to the beach both days this upcoming weekend.

Sounds nuts right?

But does it sound nuts that I'm spending so much time at the beach? Or does it sound nuts that I'm taking so much time off of lab? And why do we see not coming in on weekends counting as "taking time off" from the lab?!

Why is it I feel this way? Probably because we all are guilty of perpetuating the idea that we must be working at all times. Well you know what I have to say to that? Whatever! I work late into the evening plenty of days during the week so when the weekend forecast is for 90+ degrees F I am going to take my weekends off and enjoy them at the beach as they should be. 

Plus, lots of workplaces have summer Fridays. So take a summer Friday, take a weekend off, heck take a day off to do whatever because we are already midway through summer and summer should be enjoyed.
Image result for summer in research phdcomics
Credit: PhDComics.com








Also be mindful of your expectations for what you're going to accomplish this summer. Don't set yourself up for failure. I think grad students get a little overzealous (why do I think this? Because I've personally experienced it) with what we think we will accomplish over the summer because we have less commitments - or so we think...

And while we do probably have less academic commitments (i.e. meetings, classes, etc); I don't know about you but I end up with a way more social commitments. Think graduation celebrations, pool parties, beach outings, camping trips, barbecues, etc. And you know what?  I am going to not only go to them but I am not going to feel bad about going to them instead of the lab (or at least I am going to lie to myself that I won't feel bad until I hopefully start believing it). Could I skip them and get more work done? Sure. But I already work hard and I am so much more than my work. Same goes for you - you work hard. We all work hard. So we're allowed some time to play hard too.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying to not get any work done over the summer. I'm just saying to really check in with your expectations on what you are going to get done and make sure they are reasonable and allow for some fun too. Think of the summer like a non-academic employee, just another day on the job - not a time to catch up on what you didn't get done during the academic year.

If not, this is how you will feel:


P.S. Make sure to wear your sunblock. Also long sleeves/pants in the lab are not just an important part of lab safety but a great way to hide those tan lines from the boss. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Look what I found

And old blog of mine. Is writing about this meta? I guess it doesn't matter. Be prepared for this to just be a bunch of discombobula...