Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Why do resolutions when you can use a compass? [A Rave Review for YearCompass]

Step 2 is to prepare a hot drink so I hope it's okay I let me local cafe make one for me - delicious cappuccino by the way 

For those who don't know I love Twitter - I LOVE IT! Anyway, I came across this tweet (gotta give credit where credit is due) and decided to try Year Compass out for myself (see this is exactly why I love Twitter - you find great things!). This is my summary and rave review of this awesome FREE tool! I think it's perfect for EVERYONE not just grad students.


What is Year Compass?
"YearCompass is a booklet that helps close your year and plan the next one. In the routine of everyday life it's easy to lose sight of your true goals and aspirations. And even though we all have dreams, only a few of us plan for them. Effectively, at least. YearCompass works simply. Using questions and exercises rooted in psychology it takes you through the past year, then helps you turn your dreams into achievable goals."
[Stolen directly from their website]

What's the story behind Year Compass?
Year Compass started out with a group of friends at Budapest University who made a booklet to do for NYE, it went viral in 2013 and is now a global movement. Year Compass has more than 100 volunteers in 25 countries and the FREE booklet is available in 22 different languages.
[Paraphrased from their website Press section]

What was it like doing the compass?
Hard. Self-reflection is hard. Being honest with yourself is hard. It also is a bit time consuming. I mean, they do warn you that it will take a few hours. And it does. But I divided it up into a few sessions and I don't see any issue with that.

What are some of my best moments in 2019?
I moved in with my partner after we had barely been dating (seriously, barely dating like not quite 5 months) and it paid off nicely (hopefully they agree?). I love them . I love having a reason to keep good hours for grad school (can you say [forced] work life balance) because I have someone I love coming home to - also they kind of expect me to be home because like what's the point of living together if I'm not there? I also really appreciate their outlook on life and reminders that there is a lot more to life than grad school. And their reminders that I don't get paid enough to put up with all the B.S. that grad school sends my way so the best thing to do is literally not put up with it. Honestly, they make me feel more grounded which has helped a lot with my anxiety. Also for my Ph.D. I finished all my required coursework, passed my qualifying exam, successfully gave a lecture (my TA requirement) without any anxiety (shocking!), successfully defend my thesis proposal and advanced to candidacy (well technically I don' think the paperwork has gone through yet but close enough).

What is my word for 2020?
Positivity

Why Positivity?
In 2019, I took great strides in learning how to and practicing how to reduce my anxiety. One of the biggest lessons was learning that I can control my attitude towards things and that greatly helps. I still need to work on this and honestly probably will for life but I'm happy about it. Also I just have a lot to look forward in 2020 and that's exactly what I'm going to do - look forward to it!

Will I do this again for 2021?
Absolutely!

Is it too late to do my Year Compass for 2020?
Absolutely not.

I would love to hear about your thoughts on YearCompass in the comments. Did you use it? What did you like/dislike about it? What is your word for 2020? Do you use some sort of other tool/strategy to reflect on the past year/plan for the new year? Tell me everything [and anything]!

[And no, I am in no way affiliated with YearCompass. Just here to share the love because honestly it is a great tool and deserves this support.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look what I found

And old blog of mine. Is writing about this meta? I guess it doesn't matter. Be prepared for this to just be a bunch of discombobula...