Sunday, March 15, 2020

OH THAT ACADEMIC AUDACITY: COVID-19 EDITION

Virtual classes good but kicking students out of the dorms because of precautions for COVID-19...

What?

And by what, I mean what the f*ck?!

That's a mighty assumption you're making that all your students have the privilege to just simply "go home". 

Thank gawd my university hasn't done that. And neither has my alma mater. At least not yet.

A list of universities that have shut down their dorms:
Harvard University
The University of Maine, Orono
Stanford University
University of Wisconsin, Madison
Trinity University, San Antonio
Bellarmine University, Louisville KY
MIT
University of South Alabama
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Fordham University, Bronx NY
Columbia University, New York NY

What universities are missing from this list?
What are your thoughts on this?

Update on March 18th, 2020.

Well Stony Brook University has officially done it - they've closed their on campus housing too.

You can read the public announcement here: https://news.stonybrook.edu/university/campus-residences-announces-move-out-requirement-to-reduce-density/

But let me make it clear, this announcement was not disseminated to ALL students and staff via email. I found out through a forwarded email and the grapevine. Also the email I saw was specific to RAs, TAs and GAs who are still working and how they had less than 24 hours to appeal if they wanted to stay. LESS THAN 24 hours. So best make sure people are checking their email religiously during our SPRING BREAK!

I am so not happy about this. While I understand that there are tough decisions being made about reducing public interactions I do not agree with the closures of dorms. See my Twitter rant here:

If you read the comments on the official post and Facebook (link to FB post) you'll see I'm not alone. Just last week they assured us the dorms would remain open then sent everyone on spring break only to now be told a few days into spring break, just kidding? Regardless of opinions about the actions they (SBU admin) are taking, their communication is whack. WHACK!

P.S. The labs are still open though. Unlike our neighbors Memorial Sloan Kettering and Columbia University who have chosen to close theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look what I found

And old blog of mine. Is writing about this meta? I guess it doesn't matter. Be prepared for this to just be a bunch of discombobula...