Sunday, April 26, 2020

[Attempt to] WFH Day 40

Day 28 Tuesday, April 14th
Dom and I went for a grocery store run. We initially tried going to BJ's (like a Costco or Sam's Club) but the line to get in wrapped around the building so we just went to the normal grocery store. It wasn't bad at all. A lot more stuff in stock (i.e. meat) than the last time we went about 3 weeks ago. Almost everyone had masks on. People were friendly while still maintaining distance. When we got home I still sanitized everything, while likely not necessary I felt it was easiest to be safe than sorry. I feel like this will be the new normal for awhile.

Day 29 Wednesday, April 15th
Attended my 10th #COVIDCafe. They really have been nice. If you're interested sign up here to get updates: tinyurl.com/covidcafe-mail

Day 30 Thursday, April 16th
GWiSE Zoom Coffee Hour 11am-12pm but then I stayed on Zoom another two hours with two of my close friends, G and N who I'd normally see and chat with frequently during "normal" times. It was really nice.

Day 31 Friday, April 17th
Hosted a Zoom Pomodoro Writing Group open to my department. Although group is a stretch as it was just me and G but it helped me make progress. For those who don't know what Pomodoro is, it's just a timer strategy so we spent 25 minutes writing and then a 5 minute break, repeat 4 times.

Later that night I joined G again and some other friends for a Zoom game night. We used Skribbl.io and then a friend shared her screen so we could play Jackbox games. It was a lot of fun.

Day 32 Saturday, April 18th
I did laundry at the laundromat downstairs. Three loads and as much as I want to claim I've been putting laundry off because of the pandemic, that's just my normal strategy. I was a little anxious how this would go down but I was the only one there beside the lady who works there so it was fine. I just made sure to do my folding upstairs on my bed instead of down there on the folding counter.

Another Zoom/Jackbox game night not as fun because there were only 4 of us but Dom joined which was nice. 

Day 33 Sunday, April 19th
M and I went for a nice hike again. We initially canceled the one last weekend because we were concerned about respecting the call for proper social distancing and the fines. But we ultimately decided the risk was low but the need for our mental health was high so that we should do it. 

I picked up Chinese take out on my way home because my favorite place Best Kitchen in West Islip was reopened. And crab rangoon is my comfort food. It was delicious and we ate the leftovers for days.


Day 34 Monday, April 20th
I submitted a draft for my final project for my one course.
I went to join #COVIDCafe but backed out because I was just feeling really overwhelmed and not mentally up for it.

Day 35 Tuesday, April 21st
Ran for the first time since this all started. A very (very!) slow 5k through the neighborhoods. The weather was perfect so I shouldn't complain, brisk 50s with a light breeze.

I then attended the New York Academy of Sciences Mitochondria in Complex Diseases Symposium. I will be honest, I was underwhelmed. A lot of presenters didn't show new data which is the best part about conferences/symposiums - if I want to learn about your published work I will just read the publication. I could not make it through all of them. Zoom burnout is real. 

Day 37 Thursday, April 23rd
I attended a talk by Dan Tyrell on the role of mitochondria in vascular (and cerebrovascular) aging and disease. It was brief but really interesting. The Lamming Lab is putting on a series of aging talks and I definitely plan to attend more. Check out the schedule here: http://www.lamminglab.org/agingscitalks.html I also really like their format with asking questions on Slack.

I also virtually attended IDPSIG which was also very enjoyable.


I am glad I really enjoyed these virtual talks/symposiums because Tuesday really let me disappointed. Also in between I went out for a 2nd 5k. I really hope I keep up this momentum next week.

Day 38  Friday, April 24th
Hosted another Zoom Pomodoro Writing Group - only N attended this time but whatever. My priority with this session is not to worry about attendance but about getting some of my writing done.

Attended my 11th #COVIDCafe and accidentally missed the Aging Talk I wanted to see but don't worry I watched the talk later because they recorded it (they are available for 48 hours after the talk).

For some reason, I was up until 3:30am doing work on my computer. Hey if the inspiration strikes you go with it. I also wrote my professor a cheesy email thanking him for how the class he waived the prereqs for has been really helping me through this time - but don't worry I waited until I proofread it in daylight hours before sending off. But seriously, the regularity of this class gives me some sense of a schedule and the work and learning gives me purpose.

Day 39 Saturday, April 25th
Woke up way too early for such a late bed time.

Met up with M again for a nice long hike - definitely needed.
And when I got home  I took a really nice nap with the sun shining in on me while in bed - those naps are the best.

Tried to Zoom chat with my family but no one really had much to say. My sister moved home with all her pets - she just graduated vet school and will live at home until she starts work and maybe a bit after that to have a few paychecks to put a down payment on a house (who is she?!) My parents are going to a housewarming BBQ with friends today - not thrilled by that but I know there is nothing I can stay that will stop them and I didn't feel like getting my mother started.

Today
I slept in. Like way, way in until 1pm. Which is crazy seeing as I went to bed at like midnight and took a nap yesterday. But I am all for listening to what my body needed and when  I woke up at 9ish and a little bit here and there it told me to stay in my warm bed.

Also today's update is thanks once again to attending my old NYC writing group.

As previously, my recaps aren't all encompassing, just the "big" things that have been going on. 

What have you been doing? How are you holding up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look what I found

And old blog of mine. Is writing about this meta? I guess it doesn't matter. Be prepared for this to just be a bunch of discombobula...