Friday, May 1, 2020

What I Read in April

Wow I only got through two books this past month. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as I haven't spent as much time doing activities where I listen to audio books this last month - solo walks, runs and commuting (mostly this one). Another reason to start running more. Also both books were fairly long and I'm currently reading two physical books (stay tuned to hear about them next month). Although I've misplaced one which is ridiculous when my apartment is the size of a shoebox and it's not like I have been going anywhere. Seriously, where is it? Because I've really been enjoying it and would like to get back to it!

Anyway, the two books I read or rather listened to are The Dutch House by Ann Patchett and The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. A shift from the thriller genre I was reading and a turn into family dynamics. I would rank them both as solid fours.

My rating system:
5 - Loved it and recommend it!
4 - Liked it and recommend it!
3 - It's not my cup of tea but that's not saying I didn't not enjoy it or not to read it.
2 - Pass!
1 - I'm surprised I didn't put the book down. Actually I probably would put the book down so you probably won't see this rating on my blog.

The Dutch House was a character driven story of a family over the years and the cyclical nature of them. The story was a bit flat (no climax) but always kept me engaged. A slow but solid read.

The Great Alone was also driven by dysfunctional family dynamics but more adventurous, had a bit coming of age going on and really made me want to visit Alaska. 

Have you read any of these books? What were your thoughts? Do you have any book recommendations for me? Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look what I found

And old blog of mine. Is writing about this meta? I guess it doesn't matter. Be prepared for this to just be a bunch of discombobula...