Tuesday, January 14, 2020

My Goals for 2020

Courtesy of PhDComics.com
It's okay, I don't plan on graduating this year anyway

Personal Goals
  • Blog - If you remember this blog was originally started as a class assignment but I've decided I'd actually like to invest time into it and keep it going
    • Post at least once a week
    • Create a content schedule
  • Personally tweet more, not just retweet content
    • I signed up to curate for the #RoCurs @RealScientists and @IAmSciComm
    • Also be personal in my tweets
    • See my tweet thread below - I got personal about the slump I went through in 2018 and honestly, it was hard to open up so publicly like that
  • Keep reading - I've been really good at this especially with listening to audio books on my commute
  • Journal more
  • Get back into running - I fell off in November
    • I currently signed up for the 2020 Long Island Winter Run series which involves four 5ks over the next few Sundays, I've already completed one
  • Get back into yoga - I fell off this in November too, can I blame it on my thesis proposal?
    • I will rejoin my weekly Monday class starting in February
  • Keep a budget
    • I started observing my spending last year by manually writing everything down, I'll keep doing this because it makes me highly aware of where my money goes
    • I will cut back my spending on coffee out by limiting myself to one Starbucks run per week and by making cold brew at home (recipe to come in future post)
      • Exception: I'm allowed to purchase coffee out in the following situations: coffee date with my SO or a friend, if I physically stay at the coffee shop and relax or do some writing (hoping this also serves as motivation to keep up with writing)
    • Pay off some debt
    • Learn more about finances in general through pfforphds.com 
  • Learn some new recipes
    • I have a whole list but I want to start with Yakamein (this is the recipe I want to try)
  • Try the group led meditation on campus - this has been on my to do list for awhile, I just need to make time to go

PhD-Related Goals
  • Theme my days to increase productivity
  • Be better about keeping my lab notebook updated - my labmate is graduating soon and has been reminding me that I must keep proper notes now or I'll suffer later
  • Get a fellowship
    • I plan to apply for the F31 April deadline
    • If that doesn't work out, I will apply for F99/K00 and/or AAUW Dissertation Fellowship
  • Submit an abstract to present at a conference
  • Get into a regular writing practice
    • I think theming my days will help with this
    • I will focus on writing fellowships in the spring
    • In the fall, I will focus on writing introduction chapters for my dissertation and hopefully a publication 
  • Take 1 course each semester towards an Advanced Graduate Certificate in Data and Computational Science
  • If possible (depends on finances, timing and acceptance), attend CSHL writing retreat (date not currently posted but likely in fall)
  • Learn protein purification - this is already in progress (see photo below)
Me getting to work on those 2020 goals
_____________________

If you liked this post, you might also like:
Why Do Resolutions When You Can Use A Compass? [A Rave Review for YearCompass]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look what I found

And old blog of mine. Is writing about this meta? I guess it doesn't matter. Be prepared for this to just be a bunch of discombobula...