Thursday, January 16, 2020

What's in a name? [The Why Behind My Blog Title]

Why did I name my blog the Wicked Witch of the Western Blot?

Well that's simple, I'm a witch and I run a lot of westerns.

Kidding. Kind of.

I do run a lot of westerns but I'm not a witch - well maybe I am if I'm hungry #hangry. I am, however, a feminist and what symbol is more feminist than a witch?! 

Actually the quote is a phrase from Author Tish Thawer's 2015 novel The Witches of BlackBrook

Witches are a symbol of female empowerment. YES TO FEMALE EMPOWERMENT! We need more of it! We need more witches!

Witches personify the fear of assertive women. DOWN WITH THE PATRIARCHY!

Witches have inundated the media. We love witch-themed everything - think Sabrina, American Horror Story: Coven (that was the best season btw - I mean who doesn't love Stevie Nicks?). Witchy aesthetics for style are in. Witch-themed self-help is in. And while I don't believe in witchcraft I do buy into the strength of the power of within which is what witchcraft kind of centers around, right?

Also I find science magical.

Plus, I thought my title was hella catchy! :)
_____________________

If you want to read more about witches as a symbol of feminism check these out:
_____________________

I would love to hear what's behind the title of your blog. Tell me in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look what I found

And old blog of mine. Is writing about this meta? I guess it doesn't matter. Be prepared for this to just be a bunch of discombobula...