Saturday, January 18, 2020

What is a #RoCur?

As I mentioned in My Goals for 2020, I am trying to tweet more and to help achieve that goal I will be curating for @RealScientists and @IAmSciComm. But what I failed to mention is that I'll be curating this week. In fact, I start @RealScientists tomorrow for the week and @IAmSciComm the following starting on the 27th.


What is a #RoCur?
#RoCur or a rotation curation is just the concept of having different people run one account in a rotation system. That's it. It's that simple. It's fairly common on Twitter but has also been done on Instagram and I'm sure other platforms as well.

I think they are incredibly fun to follow because you get exposed to new people all around the world and learn about their experiences and perspectives. I'm personally a huge fan of the science themed accounts.

But there are rocurs for plenty of other topics. For example, @WeRWorld has hosts tweeting from around the world.




And if a rocur doesn't exist for that you want then why not create one? I did. Back in 2015, I started @Neurotweeps which hosts various scientists, grad students, clinicians and other neurophiles to tweet about the brain and nervous system. Although I will warn you it can be incredibly difficult to find people to agree to curate. PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU WANT TO CURATE FOR NEUROTWEEPS!

_____________________

Science/Academia Themed #RoCurs to Check Out

____________________

Please tell me in the comments below what you think about the idea of a #RoCur. Would you curate one? Do you follow any? 
____________________

If you liked this post, stay tuned for future posts on what it's like running a rocur, how to curate and about my experiences on @RealScientists and @IAmSciComm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look what I found

And old blog of mine. Is writing about this meta? I guess it doesn't matter. Be prepared for this to just be a bunch of discombobula...