Monday, April 6, 2020

What I Read in March

A lot happened this past month as everyone in the entire world knows (i.e. COVID19 pandemic) so reading wasn't the highest priority and I'm sure my lack of commuting/hours at the gym also really reduced my reading hours. Anyway, here are the four books I read or rather listened to via Libby in March (no, I'm not affiliated to Libby which is free anyway). 

My rating system:
5 - Loved it and recommend it!
4 - Liked it and recommend it!
3 - It's not my cup of tea but that's not saying I didn't not enjoy it or not to read it.
2 - Pass!
1 - I'm surprised I didn't put the book down. Actually I probably would put the book down so you probably won't see this rating on my blog.

The 4s or rather the 4 (singular)
The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware
Honestly,  probably more of a 3.5 but bottom line is I liked it! I wouldn't say it's anything special but it was a nice thriller set in a smart house which is interesting since that's what so many people in society are moving to. It's a bit slow at times but there are twists that just aren't predictable which is nice - really what more can you ask for in a thriller. 

The 3's
Fast Girl by Suzy Favor Hamilton
I thought I'd like this book more - about a former runner (I run) and her struggle with mental illness but it fell short. I really appreciated her openness but it mostly just felt like she was listing bad choices she made and not really digging in deep. I feel like it could have been so much more. I debated between a 2 and 3 but ultimately am leaving it as a 3 because it was interesting.

The Idea of You by Robinne Lee
I kept seeing this book everywhere so I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon but honestly, I thought it was a bit overrated. It's written about all over the blogosphere and honestly I don't really have anything to say about it so I'm not going to. 

The Last Widow by Karin Slaughter
Also a bit of a let down, heard a lot of great things about this author and probably will still check out her earlier work but didn't love this book. The premise was interesting, the story arc was interesting, the characters were alright, the medical/biology stuff is where I felt it was lacking. I try not to give spoilers so I won't say more but if you do read this don't take all the medical/science as completely accurate.

Have you read any of these books? What were your thoughts? Do you have any book recommendations for me? Comment below.

ICYMI: What I Read in February

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look what I found

And old blog of mine. Is writing about this meta? I guess it doesn't matter. Be prepared for this to just be a bunch of discombobula...